The machine actually supports a date range of 08/23/1928 12:03:06 (and some
number of microseconds that can differ depending on the version/release) to
05/10/2071 11:56:53 (and again some variable number of microseconds). 2053
is simply the current operating system limit. In much earlier releases the
max value was less than 2053.

And it's not so much that 1928 was an important year in computing, but that
the exact midpoint (TOD x'8000000000000000') between these dates/times (if
you use the correct microsecond values) is 01/01/2000 00:00:00.000000. :)
So Y2K was in the thoughts of IBM Rochester waaaay back when the S/38 was
being designed -- which is where this range is coming from.