From: "Paul Nelson" <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/17/2018 07:52 AM
Subject: Symantec Drive Encryption

I've got a weird one here. Last week, a neighbor lady asked me if I could
help with her late husband's laptop.

Her husband formerly worked for a company near here whose facilities were
wiped out last year by Hurricane Harvey. The owner decided to quit doing
business, and laid off all of the employees. He told the employees to keep
their laptops and any other equipment as part of their separation packages.

The laptops were all Windows 7 boxes, and have a boot up program from
Symantec requiring a Windows password or PGP passphrase. The problem is
that
the neighbor suffered a fatal heart attack last month, and never told his
wife the password.

Symantec is no help, since their customer is out of business, and nobody
knows how to contact their PC guy.

The only thing I've found is a product called Kon Boot, which is delivered
on a thumb drive, and claims to be able to boot from that, allowing access
to the PC, and to enable the user to function as the administrator.

Before I spend the money to purchase this tool, I'm looking for some
feedback from you experts. Is there something else out there? Does Kon Boot
actually work?

Thanks

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978