Matt-

The "2" is probably to select OUTFILFMT(*TYPE2)

We've been retrieving journal entries for error tracking for years. You have to build a formatted file to receive the entries in a readable state.

Run the DSPJRN command:

DSPJRN JRN(JOURNALLIB/JOURNAL) FILE((FILENAME)) RCVRNG(*CURCHAIN) FROMTIME(MMDDYY 000000)
TOTIME(MMDDYY 235959) ENTTYP(*RCD) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILFMT(*TYPE2) OUTFILE(WORKFILELIB/WORKFILE) ENTDTALEN(*CALC)

The work file begins with all of the journal data (who did it, when they did it), followed by an image of the record data from the affected file.

Create a DDS for a file to hold the formatted data (this is a once-and-done step):

0001.00 A*************************************************************************
0002.00 A** **
0003.00 A** Object Name: JRNPF **
0004.00 A** Description: Template DDS that describes the DSPJRN outfile **
0005.00 A** Reference: 99xxxx **
0007.00 A** Date Created: 02/24/99 **
0008.00 A** **
0009.00 A*************************************************************************
0010.00 A REF(RF$)
0011.00 >>>>>A R RF$O6 <--- this should be a format name similar to the PF you're retrieving
0012.00 A JOENTL 5S 0
0013.00 A JOSEQN 10S 0
0014.00 A JOCODE 1A
0015.00 A JOENTT 2A
0016.00 A JODATE 6A
0017.00 A JOTIME 6S 0
0018.00 A JOJOB 10A
0019.00 A JOUSER 10A
0019.00 A JOUSER 10A
0020.00 A JONBR 6S 0
0021.00 A JOPGM 10A
0022.00 A JOOBJ 10A
0023.00 A JOLIB 10A
0024.00 A JOMBR 10A
0025.00 A JOCTRR 10S 0
0026.00 A JOFLAG 1A
0027.00 A JOCCID 10S 0
0028.00 A JOUSPF 10A
0029.00 A JOSYNM 8A
0030.00 A JORES 20A
NO JOESD FIELD!! <<<<<<<<
0031.00 A*** Copy DDS of physical file HERE <<<<<<< don't forget this part!! This replaces the JOESD field
0032.00 A*** Add keys if you want

Copy the unformatted work file to the formatted file you created:

CPYF FROMFILE(&WORKLIB/&WORKFILE) TOFILE(&OUTLIB/&OUTFILE) TOMBR(&TOMBR)
MBROPT(*REPLACE) CRTFILE(*YES) FROMRCD(1) INCREL((*IF JOOBJ *EQ &FILE)) FMTOPT(*NOCHK)

The important bit is the FMTOPT(*NOCHK). This will plop the unformatted data into the proper fields in the special file you created.

The INCREL(()) is in case you've captured data from multiple files into the workfile and want to extract the file data one-by-one.

Paul E Musselman
Paulmmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx