Hi Don,

SIGALRM shouldn't cancel the job.  There's a procedure within SMTPR4 called 'init_signals' that uses the sigaction() API to tell the operating system that the SIGALRM should call the caught_alarm subprocedure.  (It's possible for sigaction() to tell it to end the job, but that's not what it does.)

When SendText() writes data, it tells the OS to send an alarm at the given timeout interval.  That will interrupt the send() API...  but if send() completes beforehand, it disables the alarm.   The result should be that the call is only interrupted if its unable to complete in the timeout interval.  (Usually due to network lag.)

If that happens, it will call SetUnixError() and return off, and the calling routine can check for the error.

Having said that...  I've found that there are circumstances where (not exactly sure how this works) code outside of SMTPR4 (and other tools which I've written that worked similarly) can override the signal behavior.   I'm guessing that's what's happening, here...  for some reason external code has overridden the behavior of SIGALRM so that it ends the job...

The "right" fix, would be to change the code to use non-blocking sockets and the select() API for timeouts, eliminating the use of signals.

-SK