Last time I posted, I was gathering information for installing Linux on my
POWER6 system since I was under the impression at the time that I would not
be able to install IBM i on the box.

Well, I was having issues installing linux after yaboot came up. I never
got around to trying the method outlined by Kevin Bucknum [The boot issue
was because yaboot expects its config file to be in /etc, but that isn't
mounted at boot time. Copying /etc/yaboot.conf to /boot/etc/yaboot.conf
fixed that problem.] because I felt like giving IBM i another try as it was
the OS I wanted to learn about in the first place.

After reading the documentation several times. I was able to get the
machine to IPL, load the LIC, and connect to console. The main points of
trouble were getting into the ASMI again since I had forgotten to use
https://asmiaddress instead of the address alone. Also changing the console
to LAN console was an exercise in patience as the 65+21+11 sequences
require timely inputs and the SRC codes it spits back out can be a little
confusing. I had to do this part 3 times before I got the LAN console set
properly. The documentation was extremely helpful in getting through this
process. I will say that with so many pages of documentation out there, you
really need to deploy the right search terms. However, each page of
documentation led me to where I am today.

So now the box is up on 7.1, configured on the LAN, and 5250 sessions are
available. Rational is also connected to the machine. I am already learning
quite a bit about the software install, networking setup, and basic system
configurations. It had seemed very daunting when I first started but I am
slowly demystifying the box and it's methods. Next lesson will be to FTP my
image catalog save to another machine/storage device, and testing reloading
the system from that image catalog.

Sooner than later I need to re-locate the box to the basement since it's
like a jet engine taking off in my front room when you power it on...and
the wife isn't super happy about that!

I'm still curious as to whether I can install the 2 pseries disks I
acquired and dual boot Linux or IBM i without an HMC. That will be a
adventure for another day...

Thought I would report back and share my experience.