It turns out this other consulting company was using an OEM software
product called JXplorer to manage the LDAP entries. That product
communicates on port 389 and is completely agnostic about what LDAP it's
connecting to, UNTIL, you try and change any part of the tree. Then since
it has no idea it's talking to IBM i it clobbers the configuration file in
QUSRSYS. From IBM i's perspective the LDAP is now completely gone. With
IBM support we were able to get the configurations rebuilt and both LDAP
servers are happily running again.

I'll have to wait until the other consulting company is done with their
part of the project, then I will do as you just demonstrated and move the
libraries into the iASP, solving 90% of the problem. The other 10% is to
keep the objects in QUSRSYS sync'd up however they don't change much so a
periodic refresh is possible.

Thanks for following up.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect