I am trying to force a job to abend but I am apparently overlooking
something.

I created message ERR9999 in MYMSGF with a severity of 99.

&MSGDTA = 'This job just will not abend'

Here is the SNDPGMMSG in my CLLE.

SNDPGMMSG MSGID(ERR9999) MSGF(MYMSGF) +

MSGDTA(&MSGDTA) MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE)

The joblog shows the error I am sending and then and end code of 0 which
says completed normally.

ERR9999 Escape 99 07/19/18 16:56:37.380742 MYMOD
JSMITH *STMT QCMD QSYS 01C8

From module . . . . . . . . : MYMOD

From procedure . . . . . . : MYMOD

Statement . . . . . . . . . : 3600

Message . . . . : This job just will
not abend.

CPF1164 Completion 00 07/19/18 16:56:37.408791 QWTMCEOJ
QSYS 014A *EXT *N

Message . . . . : Job
102144/JSMITH/ABEND ended on 07/19/18 at 16:56:37;

.027 seconds used; end code 0 .

Shouldn't sending a *ESCAPE with a severity 99 cause at least and end code
of 20? What am I missing?