From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jack Woehr
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:36 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Linux on a power 6

16.04 is a perfectly fine cut of Ubuntu (says this Ubuntu-on-x64 user
who
later upgraded to 18).

I have looked into this some months back and I believe they did drop
big-
endian after that, though I'll check around later.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Kevin Bucknum
<Kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The discussion yesterday got me interested in getting a lpar
running.
My main issues where figuring out how to get the disk correctly
setup
in vios and the hmc, finding the right distribution, and getting it
boot correctly. I managed to get the box to call home twice trying
get the lpar setup and the disk configured. That's what happens when
you only do this every 3-4 years. It looks like Ubuntu 16.04 is the
latest distribution with a PPC64 (not little endian) version. I
can't
tell if they dropped that version, or if it just isn't out yet. I
get
mixed signals from the posts I read. The boot issue was because
yaboot
expects its config file to be in /etc, but that isn't mounted at
boot time.
Copying /etc/yaboot.conf to /boot/etc/yaboot.conf fixed that
problem.

medtron@ppcubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Release: 16.04

Codename: xenial

medtron@ppcubuntu:~$ uname -a

Linux ppcubuntu 4.4.0-116-powerpc64-smp #140-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 12
22:00:40 UTC 2018 ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux

medtron@ppcubuntu:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

cpu : POWER6 (architected), altivec
supported

clock : 4204.000000MHz

revision : 3.2 (pvr 003e 0302)

processor : 1

cpu : POWER6 (architected), altivec
supported

clock : 4204.000000MHz

revision : 3.2 (pvr 003e 0302)

timebase : 512000000

platform : pSeries

model : IBM,8204-E8A

machine : CHRP IBM,8204-E8A

mailing
take
a moment to review the archives at
https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.

questions.

Help support midrange.com by shopping at amazon.com with our
affiliate
link: http://amzn.to/2dEadiD

--
Absolute Performance, Inc.
12303 Airport Way, Suite 100

NON-DISCLOSURE NOTICE: This communication including any and all
attachments is for the intended recipient(s) only and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient
of this communication, any disclosure, copying further distribution or
use of
this communication is prohibited. If you received this communication
in
error, please contact the sender and delete/destroy all copies of this
communication immediately.
list