I can do this local query:
select l.system_table_schema, l.system_table_name, l.system_table_member,
l.number_rows, l.number_deleted_rows
from qsys2.syspartitionstat l
where l.system_table_schema = 'ERPLXF'
and l.system_table_name = 'IIM';

I can do this remote query:
select r.system_table_schema, r.system_table_name, r.system_table_member,
r.number_rows, r.number_deleted_rows
from gdihq.qsys2.syspartitionstat r
where r.system_table_schema = 'ERPLXF'
and r.system_table_name = 'IIM';

I can create a local table from a remote query:
create table qtemp.remote_count as(
select r.system_table_schema, r.system_table_name, r.system_table_member,
r.number_rows, r.number_deleted_rows
from gdihq.qsys2.syspartitionstat r
where r.system_table_schema = 'ERPLXF'
and r.system_table_name = 'IIM') with data;

But I am at 7.3 with recent PTF's.

I cannot join a local to a remote using either JOIN or the primitive WHERE
join.