You're awesome for being 79 and still engaged in technology. There's always cool stuff to learn.

I'm only in my 50's but I plan to stay in the game as long as possible to prevent mind-atrophy 😊

One of our guys adapted one of our screens a handful of years back to use the GUI controls and it seemed to work pretty well.

If you have some existing code samples you want to share or even set up on a github/bitbucket site, I'm happy to provide a little input.

I haven't worked much with the gui keywords but am happy to provide some input if I don't have to start something from scratch since I don't do much 5250 these days 😊

Maybe even put together a list of all the things you want to learn and we can make a representative sample for the community who might be interested.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 23:08:40 -0500
from: Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Looking for like-minded programmers who use the enhanced
features of 5250

Yes.? 79 years old and I will admit that I am to programming as a kid is to video games.? I love doing it.? Yes, retired but I take on projects for fun and not much pay.

Yes, I understand and do HTML, .css, .json, and some .xml.? I have set up several sites on the iSeries, in the IFS and serve HTML reports that way to provide a decent report archive and save paper. I just finished a project to allow a user to drag & drop .txt files in the IFS.? I do my website with NetObjects Fusion (The license was a door prize at an IBM user group years and years ago.)

Good question about learning the new stuff.? Here is my answer: Yes, I like learning the new stuff.? There is lots and lots of new stuff every day and I will never catch up; nor do I try to.? It's finally dawned on me that gearing up for 10 years from now is, for me, most likely a flawed plan.? Therefore I looked around and decided that there is probably a niche for figuring out how to get the most from what we already have.

That turns out to be, in my opinion, figuring out how to make 5250 truly mouseable.? Not try to adapt the old "Key a pile of data, hit Enter, verify a dozen or more fields, display messages. Fix. Rinse & repeat".??
I'd rather get as close as possible to field-at-a-time processing instead of screen-at-a-time processing.

Frankly I am surprised at how much better this design paradigm works with users and I am surprised at the bugs that exist and will never be fixed.

My original goal with this thread was to find others working with the enhanced features and work together to find work-arounds for the bugs.