Mihael,

+1

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Mihael Schmidt <mihael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Talking about Java (the language I know best, besides RPG):
- using plain JDBC, you would have to code calls to Driver routines by
your own. Using RPG, you could use CLI instead of embedded SQL with very
similar logic.
- in real life most Java shops are using object relational mappers
(component libraries, most of them Open Source!!!) and you won't see any
SQL statements in the code.
- there was a Precompiler for Java too, SQLJ but it did not survive.

I think your answer is a little one sided. I would rather say that in
most shops where speed is no requirement ORM/JPA is used. But getting the
models and the mapping annotations right can be really tough especially if
you don't let the database be generated by the framework but using an
existing database. On top of it (if you are using JPA) you have to deal
with the different JPA libraries and with the different database drivers.
Same code does not work for other libraries. And if you want speed you are
doing native queries and map them manually and then you are back to doing
the SQL yourself. Another "problem" is the caching. Some have one and some
have even two caches depending on the implementation you use. And then
there are the libraries which offer an SQL like API. From my xp: For simple
cases with no speed requirements ORM frameworks are great ... else they are
much more trouble than worth. I like frameworks which keep things simple
like JDBI (which is also used by Dropwizard). No big overhead. Everything
is transparent.

My 2cents.

Mihael