Rob,

I know it can be done, but like you said, we may have to change the way we do somethings and some of our apps would need changes/reconfiguration.

1) IBM Edge server part of WebSphere, correct?
Do you run EDGE on the I or another box in front of the I
We used to run WebSphere years ago, we dropped it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Websphere_Edge_Components

Edge Server comprises 4 basic components:

Load Balancer: Used to direct incoming requests to an appropriate server based on a set of rules which may include load balancing requests across several servers. Server selection is based upon health checks which includes the ability for the user to write specialized health check requests. The current level supports IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.
Caching Proxy: The caching proxy system can be configured as either a forward- or reverse-proxy server. Requested content is cached by Edge before being sent to the requestor and subsequent requests can, based on its internal algorithm that can be customized, be served from the cache instead of forwarding them to application server for reprocessing. This improves response time and minimizes network bandwidth use. A primary use of Edge server is therefore to increase the performance and scalabity of J2EE applications.
Content Distribution: This feature is used in conjunction with the load balancer, where multiple Edge server components are used, to distribute HTTP requests based on URL or other administrator configured characteristics, eliminating the need to store identical content on all Edge servers.
Application Service at the Edge: Ability to build a dynamic web page from fragments generated by multiple application servers

Edge can be configured for high availability with a backup Edge failover server that takes over sessions if the primary Edge server fails.

2) How do you handle SSH keys which our generated based on IP, Host Name, or both?
The remote sites would need a 2nd key from the HA box, correct.

I've added to the list - HA/DR items for consideration.

LPAR system name
TCP/IP interfaces
TCP/IP routes
TCP/IP host table entries
TCP/IP domain information
HTTP instance listening IP
SSH Keys
PC iSeries Access for Windows configurations with IP (200)
HTTPS URL which translate to an IP via network DNS entries
Remote systems with IP in host tables
BRMS
Volumes ownership
Other BRMS settings.
WRKRDBDIRE
Configuring RDB Names for High Availability and External System Access
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1014936

AJS scheduled jobs with the below
Remote Location Name - SAVRSTLIB, SAVRSTOBJ
DDM file on SBMRMTCMD

Paul