I don't see anything different about the REFRESH TABLE statement in 7.2 vs
7.3...

Are you referencing the MQT directly? Or depending on the SQE to recognize
when it can be used?

If the former...I think you could replace the MQT with a regular table then
refresh it yourself. Possibly via a MERGE statement.

If the latter...what would happen if you created a new MQT, so you'd have
2, one fresh & one stale. I'd expect the SQE to start using the new fresh
one and stop using the stale one. At some point you could refresh the
stale one....

Seems like you could refresh the oldest version every X hours.

Granted, going to take double the DASD...

Just a thought...

Charles