Does this mean everyone should plan on a 7063-CR1 if a P9 is on the horizon?

We currently have a 7042-CR6, which doesn't support P9.

Suggested replacement was a 7042-CR9.

With this latest announcement, should we plan on a 7063-CR1 instead of a 7042-CR9?

The following table lists the HMC machine type and models with their supported HMC code levels.

Hardware support matrix
HMC Machine/
Type/Model

POWER9 Server Support

POWER8 Server Support

POWER7 Server Support

POWER6 Server Support

POWER5 Server Support

POWER4 Server Support

Minimum HMC Release

Last
Supported
HMC Release

7063-CR1

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V8.870

No

No

HMC V8.870.0

In support

7042-CR9

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V8.870

No

No

HMC V8.840.0

In support

7042-CR8

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V8.870

No

No

HMC V8.810.0

In support

7042-CR7

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V8.870

Last support on HMC V7.790

No

HMC V7.760.0

In support

7042-CR6

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V7.790

No

HMC V7.720.0

HMC V8.860

7042-CR5

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V7.790

No

HMC V7.350.0

HMC V8.860

7042-CR4

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V7.310.0

HMC V7.790

7042-C08

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V7.790

No

HMC V7.710.0

HMC V8.860

7042-C07

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V7.330.0

HMC V7.790

7042-C06

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V7.310.0

HMC V7.790

7042-OE1

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V8.870

No

No

HMC V8.830.1

In support

7042-OE2

Yes

Yes

Yes

Last support on HMC V8.870

No

No

HMC V8.860.0

In support

7310-CR4

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V7.310.0

HMC V7.790

7310-CR3

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

N/A

HMC V7.790

7310-CR2

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

No

N/A

HMC V7.760

7310-C06

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V7.310.0

HMC V7.790

7310-C05

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V6

HMC V7.790

7310-C04

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

No

N/A

HMC V7.760

7310-C03

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

No

HMC V7.310.0

HMC V7.350

7310-C02

No

No

No

No

Yes

No

N/A

HMC V6.1.3

7315-CR3

No

No

No

No

Yes

Last support
on HMC V3.3.7

N/A

HMC V6.1.3

7315-CR2

No

No

No

No

Yes

Last support
on HMC V3.3.7

N/A

HMC V6.1.3

7315-C04

No

No

No

No

Yes

Last support
on HMC V3.3.7

N/A

HMC V6.1.3

7315-C03

No

No

No

No

Yes

Last support
on HMC V3.3.7

N/A

HMC V6.1.3

7315-C02

No

No

No

No

Yes

Last support
on HMC V3.3.7

N/A

HMC V6.1.3

To determine the versions of HMC that are supported for a specific Power server, please use Fix Level Recommendation Tool (FLRT) at https://ibm.biz/IBM-FLRT.

HMC machine code releases are supported for 2 years, unless exceptions are specifically documented. Typically, full fix support is provided for the first year of support and security and critical fix support for the second year.

HMC End of Service Pack support dates may vary based on your Server's Machine-Type-Model. Please use the Fix Level Recommendation Tool - https://ibm.biz/IBMFLRT to run a report with your input levels.

Note 1 - HMC V7.R790 is the last HMC release to support Power 5 servers.

Note 2 - The minimum release is HMC V8.R830 SP1 for 7042-OE1.

Note 3 - HMC V8.R870 is the last HMC release to support Power 6 servers.