From what I'm reading, if all memory slots are not used, then the full memory bandwidth is not available.
Also, P9 is now using "unbuffered" memory instead of "buffered" memory, which results in a 20% lower bandwidth than P8 systems.

If I go with a S914, I'll probably go with 512gb - 16 EM63 32 GB DDR4 Memory @ 1,179 ea $18,864 maxed, all 16 slots used.
If I go with a S924 instead, I'll probably go with 1 tb - 32 EM63 32 GB DDR4 Memory @ 1,179 ea $37,728 maxed, 32 slots used.
They always say, the more memory the better.
With 1 tb , I could almost keep my entire application in memory.

Amazing how memory prices have dropped, comparing to my previous configs.
Old P5 with 64gb -4 16GB DDR-1 Main Storage 180,000
Cur P7 with 256 gb 8 EM32 32GB (2x16GB) Memory DIMMs, 1066 MHz, 2Gb DDR3 DRAM 51,120

For an S914, desiring 512 gb memory.
1) 16 EM63 32 GB DDR4 Memory @ 1,179 ea $18,864 maxed, all 16 slots used.
2) 8 EM64 64 GB DDR4 Memory @ 4,198 ea $33,584 room for growth, 8 slots used, 8 slots free.

For an S914, desiring 1tb memory