Gad,

Good idea to change the Subject if you want to catch the eye of those who can help!

Jim already made several good points but overall I would amplify his suggestion that we don't know enough. You might have only 7 drives that provide that 6TB of space. If you do they are 1.1TB and 10K RPM so the proposed SSD configuration would look like a Top Fuel dragster against my Prius. Or you might have multiple drawers of 139GB 15K RPM drives on several large cache controllers in a mirrored environment. MASSIVE difference between those two options!

In either case it's likely the new SSDs will win big but we're guessing.

One more thing, Where are you getting the 'SSD writes are only slightly faster than HDD writes' statement? Waaaaay back the original 70GB SSDs that IBM sold for a kings ransom had write speeds of about 120MB/s which is rather comparable to a 15K spinning drive on streaming writes. But the SSD generations released in 2016 were well over 400MB/s (as high as 470MB/s)

And in IBM's latest SSD announcement they state: Write performance is "more than 25 times that of a standard 15K HDD" and "the number of drives is still a factor in achieving satisfactory performance, especially for IBM i."

Read all about em here: https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&appname=gpateam&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS117-086

So I think you have some outdated information there. Even PC SSDs today are pretty close to parity for read and write performance with writes only a tick slower than reads any more.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com