I discovered my error when trying to create a simple recreate and open a
PMR.

To duplicate locally at IBM:
MD DIR('/pmrdir')
MD DIR('/pmrdir/level1')
EDTF STMF('/pmrdir/level1/testfile1.txt')
Type in some data and hit F3 twice to save it.
CHGATR OBJ('/pmrdir/level1') ATR(*ALWSAV) VALUE(*NO)
RTVDIRINF DIR('/pmrdir') INFFILEPFX(QPMR) INFLIB(ROB)
WRKF FILE(ROB/QPMR*)
File Library
QPMRD ROB
QPMRO ROB

select d.qezdirnam1, d.*
from rob.qpmrd d
where qezdirnam1 in ('/pmrdir', '/pmrdir/level1');
/pmrdir, 2
/pmrdir/level1, 3

Select qezobjnam, qezdiridx, qezsysrssv
from rob.qpmrO
order by qezdiridx, qezobjnam;
pmrdir, 1, 0
level1, 2, 0
testfile1.txt, 3, 0

Changed qezsysrssv (which means "system restricts save" and is different)
to qeznonsav (which actually makes more sense).
and I get
Select qezobjnam, qezdiridx, qeznonsav
from rob.qpmrO
order by qezdiridx, qezobjnam;
pmrdir, 1, 0
level1, 2, 1
testfile1.txt, 3, 0

So testfile1.txt would not be saved also even though it's not flagged that
way.
SAV DEV('/qsys.lib/rob.lib/rob.file') OBJ(('/pmrdir'))
CPD37C4 - 1 objects not saved.
preceded by
CPD37C3 - Cannot save /pmrdir/level1.
DSPSAVF ROB/ROB
5=Display objects in subdirectory
No objects saved on media file for specified subdirectory.
While it says 1 object not saved it's actually more (/pmrdir/level1 and
/pmrdir/level1/testfile1.txt). It just stops checking at the first link
in the chain flagged as alwsav=no