From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob
Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:48 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Anybody got a copy of level 42 of PTF group 99701?

I've never understood this logic.

Sure, someone can explain it as level 43 is too new and maybe not enough
people have it on and have found any new bugs it may have introduced.
But level 43 came out in September, 9/7/17.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas4SF99701
But if it were a bad bug they would have reissued 99701 and there would be
a level 44 by now. If really bad, there have been several HIPER groups
since then so it should be covered. The last hiper group was less than a
week ago.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas4SF99709

The only thing then you gain by staying a level behind is loss.
- You lose all the fixes to bugs created by level 42 (and earlier) which
were fixed in level 43.
- The new enhancements in level 43. Actually I don't think there were any
new enhancements, only fixes. Which should be a good thing to this
client. Verified at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%2
0i%20Technology%20Updates/page/DB2%20for%20IBM%20i%202017%20Group%20PTF%20Sc
hedule
and
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%2
0i%20Technology%20Updates/page/DB2%20for%20i%20Functional%20Enhancements

Note: Cover letter for SF99701-43 says there would be a new group out
after that in 2017 (see link above). There hasn't been. And we're almost
into the last month of 7.1 so there may never be a level 44. Even though
Dirty Harry might think a 44 would be a good thing for 7.1.

Why 43 may be the end of the road:
<snip>
No new SF99701 levels are planned
</snip>
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%2
0i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Db2%20for%20IBM%20i%202018%20Group%20PTF%20Sc
hedule