No malicious actor here. The smoking gun points at IBM, and they're accepting full responsibility. They just don't know what exactly happened. They found a similar incident with my model of NIC, but that was on a very, very old firmware.

I don't auto-start FTP, and I think the iACS ping more closely tests the services I care about.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Andelin [mailto:nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:38 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: iACS have cwbping?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Justin Taylor <JUSTIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I my case, I had an unexplained outage that's got IBM scratching their
heads (their answer is to wait for it to happen again and get a Main
Storage Dump).

We had a couple outages like that last year. Even the LAN console couldn't connect.

Preceding the event we had spammers from Taiwan making hundreds of attempts around the clock to try to relay mail through our SMTP server. The IBM i SMTP server would accept the connection but reject the relay due to configured relay restrictions. Undaunted, the spammers kept pounding our SMTP server.

I finally thought to block the spamming at the firewall and spare our IBM i system. I don't really know if that had anything to do with our outage. But we haven't had one since.

Our network people have a commercial solution that does normal ping tests,
but my system answered pings (it just didn't do anything else). So
I'm trying to put a together a tester than can check availability.

Maybe test an FTP action from a PC on your LAN?