Rob / Jim,

I'm currently planning a Power7 to Power9 -S914 (6 or 8 core) swap out, non-vios.

2 lpars

I was talking to some folks and some point came up.

1) Was told no need for DASD controllers, the P9 embedded will suffice with no issue.

I didn't confirm the cache specs, but I was thinking of possibly EJ14.

2) SSD - Currently using Enterprise, not sure if I should switch to Mainstream.

Possibly utilizing the P7 Enterprise SSD, place in ASP2 for R&D only.

Still researching.

Size is also up in the air 775gb, 1.9tb, etc.

Any IBM Mainstream devices (previously called read intensive device) identified in

this document have a maximum number of write cycles. IBM Mainstream device

failures will be replaced during standard warranty and maintenance period for

devices that have not reached the maximum number of write cycles. Devices that

reach this limit may fail to operate according to specifications and must be replaced

at the client's expense. Individual service life may vary and can be monitored using

an operating system command.

3) Ethernet - stay at 1gb or possibly utilize the 10gb.

From a network side the 10gb could get expensive.

4) Fiber for LTO7 - upgrade from 8gb to 16gb.

Will require a new fiber switch.

5) I hosting I.

I'm considering having Production own all the DSAD, then have Production host the R&D LPAR with NWS.

My only concern is if both Production and R&D are super busy, will DADS substystem, (controllers and SSD) become a bottleneck.

6) CPU - currently have 3 cores, I was told 2 would be plenty on P9.

I can't go with the 4 core, 64gb mem max.

So 6 or 8 core.

Still researching.

7) Memory - currently at 256, I'm going to double to 512, at a minimum.

8) HA/DR - currently none - I was asked to investigate.

9) Live Partition Mobility - checking on how this may help.
With Live Partition Mobility, users can migrate an AIX or IBM i partition running on
one POWER partition system to another POWER system without disrupting services.
The migration transfers the entire system environment, including processor state,
memory, attached virtual devices, and connected users. It provides continuous
operating system and application availability during planned partition outages for

repair of hardware and firmware faults.

Paul