Hi Paul,

With regard to "network noise" that you mention:
If your network switches use Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and it is
improperly configured, and when one of the switches is failing or becomes
disconnected then it can happen that the network becomes a long timeout (up
to 60 seconds) because the other switches are listening and rebuilding the
STP network topology. When the failing device is reconnected then the
timeout will happen again and so on.
Could that be (part of) the issue?

Best regards,
-Arco

Op woensdag 7 maart 2018 heeft Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> het
volgende geschreven:

We had a repeat of this issue from 02/07/17.

Multiple iSeries LPARs - Pencor05, Pencor06, Pencor07, Penco08 My
connections to 4 different LPARS, 3 different NICS, all at the same time.
Not all users at once.
About 20 every minute.
Each user only once (so far)
No entries in PAL, LIC.
Only this pattern in each joblog and QHST.

CPF5140 Diagnostic 70 03/06/18 09:27:21.942782
QWSERROR QSYS 0573 QWSGET QSYS 0683
Message . . . . : Session stopped
by a request from device PALPR5505A.
CPF5503 Diagnostic 30 03/06/18 09:27:21.942879
QWSERROR QSYS 0595 QWSGET QSYS 0683
Message . . . . : Input or Output
request failed. See message CPF5140.
CPC1197 Completion 50 03/06/18 09:27:21.943629
QWTPITP2 QSYS 0645 *EXT *N
Message . . . . : Job ended because
device error occurred.
CPF4410 Diagnostic 00 03/06/18 09:27:21.944839
QWSCLOSE QSYS 098E QUIRCLAP QSYS 002D
Message . . . . : File QDUI132 in
library QSYS closed, device PALPR5505A may
be unusable.

This time we have some additional info.
We lost some fiber connections to some remote offices due to this past
weekend's Northeaster.
To recover, some dark, spare, fibers were being lit up.
There is suspicion that during this process, some "noise" may have been
created on the network, causing devices to lose their IP address.
Each time a session dropped, we saw a new lease was obtained on the PC, we
also saw this back in 2017.

Anybody from the group ever have similar experiences or are there any
tools/methods to confirm this?

It will happen again.

Paul