Is there an SQL technique available for determining if a
particular cursor is already open, or not? To handle this others have
started closing the cursor arbitrarily and ignoring if they get the NOT
OPEN message in the joblog. But, I think that is messy. Now, in a
service program I can always use a static variable to indicate if the
cursor is open or not. But I have other situations where the static
variable method is not available. But, in the case I have right now, the
static variable method is not possible.

I have a stored procedure that opens and closes a cursor if
everything goes according to plan. But, I found a situation where things
did not go according to plan, a signal was raised, the stored procedure
terminated before closing the cursor, and when I went to run it again I
got the message ALREADY OPEN. Yes, I could log off my interactive session
and log back on but I would rather find a way to handle this. So, I
started off using the following code at the beginning of the stored
procedure. This works, but the result is that I get the NOT OPEN message
in the joblog when everything is actually going fine.

Is there a way for a stored procedure to prevent either the
ALREADY OPEN or the NOT OPEN messages from ending up in the joblog?
Thanks.

-- clean up company cursor if needed
Begin
Declare Continue Handler for SQLSTATE '24501' Begin End; -- notopen
Set ErrText = 'Initial cleanup of company cursor failed.';
Close Company_Cursor;
End;

Sincerely,

Dave Clark