Paul,
I now Understand. I was just wondering what happens when you don't do an
apply permanent
but do the DLTPTF.

From the discussion I found from Rob in January of last year,
the load, apply, and then delete can be a little gray especially if you
are planning on using it for multiple systems....but here's what I liked:

-------------------------------------from January
2017-----------------------------
Read the help.
*SAVFONLY will not delete PTF files for those PTF files you've
downloaded,
loaded and applied. Only those you've downloaded and never applied.

Let's pretend that reading wasn't required and it really worked like you
assumed and only got rid of the save files, irregardless of ptf apply
status. Do you really want the members sticking around in QGPL/QAPZCOVER?

DLTPTF <> RMVPTF

So if you were thinking DLTPTF *SAVFONLY just got rid of the save files
and didn't remove the ptf then you're off base there also. DLTPTF already
does not back out the PTF. Backing out the PTF is the point of RMVPTF. So
that's not why they have *SAVFONLY.

If you did a DSPPTF you'll see some with "Permanently applied",
"Temporarily applied" and maybe even "Save file only". Those ones listed
as "Save file only" are affected by DLTPTF *SAVFONLY.
If I downloaded SI12345 and SI12346 and loaded SI12345 but not SI12346
then SI12345 might be "Not applied" and SI12346 might be "Save file
only".
DLTPTF *SAVFONLY would only get rid of SI12346.

Imagine this process
SNDPTFORD PTFID((SI12345) (SI12346))
LODPTF LICPGM(5770SS1) SELECT(SI12345)
APYPTF LICPGM(5770SS1) SELECT(SI12345)
RMVPTF LICPGM(5770SS1) SELECT(SI12345)
ok
LODPTF LICPGM(5770SS1) SELECT(SI12345)
APYPTF LICPGM(5770SS1) SELECT(SI12345) APY(*PERM)
RMVPTF LICPGM(5770SS1) SELECT(SI12345)
Nope, can't do. It's permanent.
DLTPTF PTF(SI12345)
Sure, I can delete the save file and stuff but you'll still have the PTF
applied. Good housekeeping. Attaboy.
_____________________________________

That's helpful and good stuff.

Bill

"CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission (and/or the attachments
accompanying it) contain confidential information belonging to the sender.
The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient.
disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance
on the contents of the information is strictly prohibited. Any
unauthorized interception of this transmission is illegal under the law.
If you have received this transmission in error, please promptly notify
the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the
transmission."