Y'all

We are moving to 7.3, already did on development LPAR, going to do this on one production LPAR this weekend.

I understand that the default Java version at 7.3 is Java 8 32-bit. But there's a document, https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1019917, that says that ___IBM recommends the 64-bit version___.

I asked about this, and was told that you risk running out of memory with the 32-bit, hence, the recommendation.

OK, so how do we set this as the default for the system, not in individual jobs, but for everything.

I have looked at various documents - none say anything about an overall place to set this.

Options I've seen:

ADDENVVAR JAVA_HOME [the java home path in QOpenSys you want]

That's job level by default. And I don't think we should make a change to the system level within a job. And I don't want to add this command wherever we are using Java - not a huge amount, but we can use the default, so that's what I want to do.

It is possible to set JAVA_HOME with an EXPORT or ECHO command in a .profile stream file in the home directory for each user - not practical, since I believe it affects only QShell and PASE. And who wants to do this for every user on the system? Many if not most of our users have root as their home, but the principle applies generally.

So I wondered, is there a global .profile where the environment variable could be set? If it's only QShell and PASE, that's still not good enough.

So do we have to add it to a program that runs at IPL? We have that, but I'm not sure we really WANT to do that.

Also, the knowledge center article on installing Java says that the default is the one you have installed, if it's the only one - otherwise it follows a hierarchy- 8 32bit, 8 64bit, 7 32bit, 7 64 bit, etc.