When you have declared an SQL Exception handler, how do you make
an exception for a particular exception? For example...

I have a script that creates an alias in QTEMP during execution.
But, if any other exception occurs, the alias is left in QTEMP. So, I
want to clean up this possibility when the script first starts. This
works if the alias is there. But, if it is not there an exception occurs.
I want to detect this situation and ignore the exception.

I even tried doing the DROP within the exception handler itself so
that the alias wouldn't be left in QTEMP at all. However, if an exception
occurs before the alias first gets created, then the exception handler
throws an error during the DROP and the original exception never gets
displayed.

I also thought of creating an SQL Continue handler for the
specific SQL State, but I don't want this SQL State to always continue.
The potential exists for the same SQL State to occur in other places in
the script and I don't want those situations handled the same.

Is there a way to to be even more selective with handlers --
without having to go to the extreme of doing completely away with all
handlers and then having to do error checking on a statement-by-statement
basis?

How do I handle all this? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark