"In my case I avoid RPG and Java together like the plague because of the single instance issues."

Can you elaborate? I've used RPG and Java for years, and I don't know what you mean by "single instance issues".

________________________________
From: Richard Schoen <Richard.Schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 8:34 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Java extensions directory vs Excel generation

What you have recommended closely mirrors what I typically do.

Each utility or app has its own IFS folder contains the class/program and any related JAR files.

Then I set JAVA_HOME for the JVM to use.

In my case I avoid RPG and Java together like the plague because of the single instance issues.

I typically run my classes using QSHELL or an app server if I need it to stay loaded.

The benefit to this is I can alter the JVM and CLASSPATH variables and run two different java utilities in the same job even if they have differenet JVM / Classpath requirements.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx