From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Richard Schoen
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:14 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: AIX suggestions

Are these applications trying to use files over Windows shares or directly
from native processes ?

Windows Shares and NetServer itself have always been mediocre performers.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com
------------------------------

message: 4
date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 09:58:50 -0600
from: Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: AIX suggestions

I have customers that have millions of PDF and other stream files on the
IFS. We've tested access times between going to a Linux or Windows server
even across the LAN (1GB) and access times are significantly faster than
direct access with the IFS. Plus that moves what could be argued as archive
data off the transactional database into a more suitable storage management
for file serving. Don't get me wrong, the IFS is great and used properly
is hands down the best solution for IBM i centric applications, but it does
have limitations and that's what we are addressing here.

ASYNCBRING did make a massive impact on save times, not so much on restore.

SSDs are an expensive way to solve a speed problem when the items to be
stored really should be on Tier 3 storage, not Tier 1 storage.

IF you save the IFS in 10 minutes, it must have almost nothing but what IBM
puts there and some small other bits you store there. I have IFS save
functions that run 10 -15 hours at customer locations. Linux backed them
all up to the same tape device (SPHiNX VTL) in less than 1/3 that time even
with ASSYNBRING.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects