I do the same thing with SQL scripts frequently (run CL commands invoked
through SQL).

In my opinion, it is easier (in particular much smaller code volume) to
embed CL command calls (or RPG program calls) into SQL, than vice-versa
(embed SQL calls into RPG or another high level language).

If you make a scalar or table user defined function, that takes a CL
command string as input, and then executes that CL command via passing it
to a call to QCMDEXC, you can run dynamically generated CL commands in the
middle of a query processing (in the middle of building a query result set
- with some restrictions related to functions and locking restrictions).

You can even do things like embed such calls to CL commands, RPG programs,
or APIs in the middle of recursive SQL query processing. I've used
recursive SQL scripts before with calls to a function wrapped around a
sleep API, to put the SQL to sleep (during each recursive pass), wake up
after sleep, run CL, RPG, or SQL commands, and then go back to sleep.

You can do just about anything with SQL as the "host" language.

SQL is not just a great language to embed in other languages. In my
opinion, SQL does an outstanding job hosting other languages inside it as
well.

Mike

date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:30:48 +0000
from: "Krill, Coy" <CKrill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: How could a 3rd party remote support user run a process
from their PC that would change several system values and
submit
several jobs?

Easy. They have too much authority and you are restricting what can be
done over SQL. I run commands and submit jobs over SQL every day. Saves me
signing in to a 5250 session. I can build some nice long SQL scripts and
run them faster than making a one-off CL program to do it.

Coy Krill
Core Processing Administrator/Analyst
Washington Trust Bank

their PC that would change several system values and submit several jobs?

How could a 3rd party remote support user un a process from their PC that
would change several system values and submit several jobs?
I'm think some sort of run remote command.