I can attest to that! One customer I have has been trying to "migrate".
Well, 2 years and literally millions of dollars later with little to show.

Original project was done over 10 ago (which was a web application using
CGIDEV2). Total for that was under 40k. That's 40k over 10 years. Ground
up application (minus DB which was there), support, updates, etc. That
doesn't include the green screen apps and full time programmer who handles
that, but still... It was making a web interface for existing green screen
applications.. both to run side by side.

I'm sure all the new management wanted is something that "looks nicer", and
given a couple months I know that would be simple to do with what they
have. 10 years ago there just wasn't the technology to do it. HTML5, CSS,
jQuery.. very good things to have in your toolkit. 10 years from now it
will probably be something else that takes their place.

Higher ups (and mostly non tech) see these websites using responsive
design, etc and want that and think the IBM i can't do it. That just shows
the lack of understanding of how all this web stuff works.

Another reason they want to move off is they feel it will be cheaper than
bringing in someone to train under the retiring single programmer. I'd say
that's been proven wrong.

But each instance is different. I guess.. lol. But this has been my
experience... zero speculation. Actual experience.

Bradley V. Stone
www.bvstools.com
MAILTOOL Benefit #15 <https://www.bvstools.com/mailtool.html>: The ability
to add a Footer to each email sent using an IFS stream file.