<Darryl>
I have a simple SELECT with JOIN retrieving the data.
</Darryl>

... not too much of information, but there are some guidelines:
- a view won't change anything
- be sure, that the join fields have same type
- be sure that there is an index for the fields of your where clause
- you could try to force index usage for the larger part of the Resultset b an order by clause
- in a program in some cases it could help to force selectivity before the join operation by joining 2 extracts
- use database monitor over your application to find the candidates for optimization (optimization of queries that are fast enough or queries that are not critical is wasted time)

D*B