the flash copy was taken.
It's especially valuable when taking point in time "whole system" saves
before an upgrade or similar tasks.

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Larry,

If 100% SSD, no need for easy tier.
Currently no issues with backup, 90 mins, SSD to LTO7.
Growth is small, no need to add.

Can I go SAN without VIOS?

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: DrFranken [mailto:midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:01 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion; Steinmetz, Paul; 'Jim
Oberholtzer'
Subject: Re: i hosting i question

Sure VIO can do that but SAN better choice.
You get things like easy tier to move hot data to SSD and cold data away.

You get flash copy for doing backups at a point in time that's not stuck
while you are doing the backups.

You can add drawers on the fly unlike internal disk. There are also more
disk options with SAN as well.

I do NOT hate internal disk, reliable and predictable for decades but SAN
disk brings options that internal doesn't.

18TB, I'd be on SAN for sure.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com