I didn't think IBMi/POWER could connect to a NAS, but maybe that was just my hardware, OS or appliance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Meade [mailto:kmeade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2017 1:36 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Can't connect IBM i to external NAS device

With the issues we've had with SMB2 and, as others have noted earlier, IBM and Microsnot playing the blame game. We thought we'd start moving user data that is written to the IFS to external devices, starting with an application that we build that uses a word template, opens that template on a user's PC and inputs info entered via the green screen and is then saved/printed. Guess we picked the right one to start with because we can't get it to work.

I've asked our net guy to put into writing the issues we are having.

Here is what he had to say:

----------------------------

IBM iSeries

Netgear ReadyNAS 6.9.0

Netgear is joined to MS Active Directory, iSeries is not part of the same domain

Windows clients on AD can connect/read/write according to group with no issue's.

iSeries will not authenticate as it passes the wrong domain to the Netgear device unless you add the local admin from the Netgear device to the iSeries then only this user can RW to the mounted share. No other iSeries users have permissions to access this share.

Programs that need to write to this share on the iSeries are run by users.
Since there seems to be no way to pass the username/domain or domain\username to the Netgear device the authorization fails.

Seems the logical way to solve this is to put the iSeries on the AD, but this has been said to be not an option. If a local account exist to match the user on the iSeries you will get an "sam_account_ok: Account for user ' ' disabled" error, as AD will disable the local accounts except for the admin account. If there is no local account match and AD is joined you will get an "check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user ' ' FAILED."
error, this is because there is no domain sent to the Netgear.

Long story short, IBM i not playing with NAS device because of different domains, and I'm not keen on the idea of setting up local account users for everyone that would need to access the templates or saved documents through the green screen pgm.

Thanks,

Ken Meade

Director of Information Technology | kmeade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
603.444.3570 |

1309 Mt. Eustis Road, Littleton, NH 03561

microsoft windows sharepoint services logo