Found two issues. First there was an issue with the config of the customers VPN/Firewall policies. (Two weeks of We’re sure those ports are open…. Oh, your profile has the wrong policy)

Second was an issue with ACS 1.1.7.2 jar file, which prevented a console session which was created via the 5250 Session Manager screen from working. IBM provided me a patch which corrected it. I did find that using the HMC Probe utility to create a 5250 console session did work though, even without the patch.

From: Steve Pavlichek<mailto:spavlichek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:52 PM
To: Midrange List<mailto:midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ACS 1.1.7.2 5250 console sessions

Is anyone who is running ACS 1.1.7.2 tried opening a 5250 Console session to an LPAR since upgrading?

I get a “System credentials validation Failed” error before I ever get a log-in screen. Fortunately I have a copy of ACS 1.1.6.2 which does work with 5250 consoles.

So far IBM support does not what is causing my problem but I was curious if anyone else has run into this.