The remove items from the interface is just that, a way to keep the
interface 'clean' . Not meant as a lockdown mechanism. If you want to
actually control what a user can and can't do, you need to use the
Application Administration support. From the Navigator, you can restrict
users or groups from being able to preform various functions. All the
major groups on ACS are represented in App Admin. This puts the
restriction support on the server, so even if the user figures out how to
add something back in, they still can't do anything.

Tim Rowe, timmr@xxxxxxxxxx
Business Architect Application Development & Systems Management for IBM i
IBM i Development Lab, Rochester, MN
(507) 253-6191 (Tie) 553-6191

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/are/index.html

message: 1
date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 23:39:55 -0400
from: DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: ACS 1.1.7.2 build 7422

Probably. Maybe not. Yes.

If you have simply given them a folder with this tool then yes, they can
probably edit it.

If you have the thing network deployed then you can restrict them from
editing the file on the network.

Not terribly likely though that they couldn't simply copy the folder to
their desktop, edit the config file there, and now they have access to
anything.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 10/24/2017 10:29 PM, Mike Cunningham wrote:
> Can an end user who I don't want to have anything other than 5250 also
be able to edit this file and get access to the other tools?

Of Tyler, Matt
> Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:27 PM
> To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: ACS 1.1.7.2 build 7422
>
> Find the properties file in the same folder as the .jar file and edit
it. You can add or remove plugins there.

<mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx<[2]mailto:mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

> When I did the original install it asked things like "Do you want 5250",
"Do you want Spool Files", "Do you want Navigator", etc. I did not choose
some of those and now I don't know how to add them back. If I go to Tools
menu and pick Show Restricted Functions it shows me what I did not select
on the original install. Data Transfer was one that I would like to add
back.

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx<[4]mailto:midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>; Mike
Cunningham <mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx<[5]mailto:mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx>>
> Subject: Re: ACS 1.1.7.2 build 7422
>
> What do you mean by 'other components' ?
>
> If you are referencing such thins as SQL or Spooled Files etc those
features are all in the .jar file when you launch it. You cannot 'not
install' them.

> IBM chose in the config file to allow you to select features that you
want to hide not features that you want to allow. So any new feature,
unless you were sentient, and blocked it in advance, will be available to
each user as soon as they launch the new install.