We solved our mystery. Or at least figured out how to deal with it
This is a short section of the source code for the SQL SELECT in this program

If its coded like this it will fail as part of the larger CL process but runs when run by itself in a submitted job

0285.34 SELECT
0285.35 coalesce(trim(Data01),'0') as SltsRefId
0285.36 ,CROSSREF.SLIDPCTID
0285.37 ,coalesce(trim(Data04),'') as SltSchGUId
0285.38 ,coalesce(trim(Data09),'') as SltSchType
0285.39 ,coalesce(trim(Data05),'') as SltSchCode
0285.40 ,coalesce(trim(Data03),'') as SltFullNam
0285.41 ,coalesce(trim(Data41),'') as SltScrtDtx
0285.42 ,coalesce(trim(Data42),'') as SltSUpdDtx
0285.43 ,coalesce(trim(Data06),'') as SltSchName
0285.44 ,coalesce(trim(Data07),'') as SltOrgCat
0285.45 ,coalesce(trim(Data08),'') as SltOrgType
0285.46 ,coalesce(trim(Data11),'0') as SltScFromx
0285.47 ,coalesce(trim(Data12),'0') as SltSchTox

When like this it runs fine in both processes

0285.34 SELECT
0285.35 coalesce(trim(temp.Data01),'0') as SltsRefId
0285.36 ,CROSSREF.SLIDPCTID
0285.37 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data04),'') as SltSchGUId
0285.38 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data09),'') as SltSchType
0285.39 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data05),'') as SltSchCode
0285.40 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data03),'') as SltFullNam
0285.41 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data41),'') as SltScrtDtx
0285.42 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data42),'') as SltSUpdDtx
0285.43 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data06),'') as SltSchName
0285.44 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data07),'') as SltOrgCat
0285.45 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data08),'') as SltOrgType
0285.46 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data11),'0') as SltScFromx
0285.47 ,coalesce(trim(temp.Data12),'0') as SltSchTox

Without the temp. it would issue this error.,

Sqlstate = 01545 An unqualified column name has been interpreted as a correlated reference.
Error message = DATA01 UTPIMPF3S SLATE
Current FUNC =
PCTID = 0
SCHOOL NAME =
SCHOOL ADDRS1 =

And since the read loop was coded like this it did no fetch

dow (SqlStt = '00000' or SqlStt = '01004');

exec sql fetch next from SchData into
:SltsRefId
, :SltsPCTId

Still don’t know why it only issues that 01545 state when run in the larger CL.