Our first gen SSD's back on Power 6 ended up losing a few right away. Yes,
more than one.

We have three Power 8's, two of them are all SSD's. Boss wanted main ASP
to be on maintenance but he wasn't going to pay that price. So we
purchased the card expansion unit, two newer disk expansion units with
newer SSD's. We migrated all of ASP1 to those drives. Then we removed
the older drives from the ASP and created them as a secondary ASP for
archive data for a project we had planned. The disks in the secondary ASP
will be self maintained. Before we started RAID we created two drives for
each of the two RAID sets as hot spares. Then we created the raid set
with those hot spares in it. We did it that way so that we could use the
two right hand drives as hot spares. Otherwise if you create the hot
spares as part of the initial raid set it will pick the two left hand
drives. It's just confusing to those of us who like the left hand drives
to be where load source goes and stuff.

But, we had the disk to spare so we created both raid sets with two hot
spares to make it easier for the self maintenance. And it's RAID 5.

We did this for both of our SSD based Power 8's.

The third Power 8 also has two ASP's. Both spinning disk. The second ASP
is slower 10k huge drives. Again, for archive data.