IBM SWORE to me they would **NOT** force an upgrade to an HMC release that did not have FULL support for i on i hosting. 8.8.6 does NOT support everything needed there. I for one will not be upgrading to 8.8.7 to "see what's in there" and find out that "I cannot keep my i on i hosting!"

I do see firing up more servers in the FrankenLab coming up (POST COMMON!!!) to see what it looks like. I do have a CR7 laying here and a stack of POWER7s...

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 9/21/2017 2:33 PM, Paul Fenstermacher wrote:
We're all going to have to find a way to test this new release, IBM is not going to revert and keep the Classic UI after 8.8.6. The more that gets tested while the Classic is still available the better off we'll all be. Some of you will find yourselves in a position of HAVING to upgrade to HMC v8870 due to some other requirement. Keep that in mind and be prepared.

Paul Fenstermacher | Sys Admin, Sr | Technology Operations | Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.
2135 E. Primrose | Springfield, MO 65804 | 417-235-4114 x177389 |
pfenstermacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:54 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: HMC 8.8.7.0

The e-mail below is from an external source. Please do not open attachments or click links from an unknown or suspicious origin.

IBM has released HMC v8870 (and a mandatory fix) to the wild. As with all versions 8 it supports Power6 and newer servers.

Anyone running that yet?

Changes in 8.8.7 include (but are not limited to):

= No more 'Classic' interface.
= No more 'disconnect' only sign off. If you were doing something, sorry about that.
= Supposedly it now allows you to do everything needed for i Hosting i.
( This is something which 8.8.6.0 did NOT support in the 'Enhanced +' GUI) = supports the POWER based HMC = supports install from USB schtick.
= supports SAVUPGDTA to remote server.

It requires:

7042 CR7 or newer or POWER hmc.

I am very ill-disposed to try this version because:
No going back without scratching the POWER system FSP.
No disconnect. I use that CONSTANTLY.
"I have to install this release to see what's in this release"
Learning the enhanced+ GUI has not proven easy for me some things are buried deeper than whale poo.

Thoughts???