From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:15 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Cache Battery

I am not going into all of the details, but we have a Model 520 ()Power 5)
sitting in a remote site. I check it weekly for errors and accessibility
(STRSST, and such).

There's a message that the cache battery needs to be changed. Actually that
came up weeks ago, and they still have not changed it. But today the
WRKDSKSTS panel (F11) showed all disks as "Degraded". I don't know what
that means; the system is RAID5.

Anyway, they don't have a console there so they are telling me (supposedly
from the IBM tech) that they have to set up a LAN console before they can
change the battery.

Is that true? I mean, it's been years and I've been semi-retired for nearly
4 years, but my recollection is that the system has to be powered off, and
powered back on. Do they really need a system console for this?

Jerry C. Adams

Rehab is for quitters.

IBM i Programmer/Analyst

--