FYI, there's a good article on setting things up here:
[1]http://club.alanseiden.com/learninghall/article/locking-down-ssh-on-the-ibm-i-with-public-keys/

The reasoning behind this is pretty sound:
- nobody but the user should have write permission to the
.ssh/authorized_keys file because otherwise another user could add their
key to the file and log in as that user
- nobody but the user should have write permission to the .ssh directory
because otherwise another user could rename the .ssh/authorized_keys file
and create their own...
- nobody but the user should have write permission to their home directory
because otherwise another user could rename the .ssh directory and create
their own...

Also, asked earlier is how to enable logging on sshd. This is done by
setting the LogLevel sshd_config option:

LogLevel
Gives the verbosity level that is used when logging messages
from sshd(8). The possible values are:
QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2,
and DEBUG3. The default is INFO. DEBUG and
DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher
levels of debugging output. Logging with
a DEBUG level violates the privacy of users and is not
recommended.

I usually set it to DEBUG3. If you change it, you must restart the *SSHD
server. Then when you're at the password prompt you can pull up the job
log for the sshd child job that was spawned for that connection and view
the debug log. You can also start sshd -d from the command line (as
someone else mentioned) and connect to that if you prefer. You can use up
to 3 -d to enable DEBUG, DEBUG2, or DEBUG3: sshd -ddd -p 9000. The server
will only stay alive for one connection.

--
Kevin Adler
Software Development - PASE, Open Source, IBM i Access ODBC