<snip>
Cognos' problem is probably that it is developed in MS SQL and MS SQL uses
the basic Select on the call to the remote system. I had this problem
several years ago and changed the selects to use FROMQUERY a MS SQL
command
which passes the string command to Db2 which selects the records on the
remote system and only returns the selected data.
</snip>

thanks for the reply.

So, you think you have a resolution now? That JDBC will do the selection
on the host whereas CPYF didn't? If so, good.