And then there was the customer who had a very nice generator alMOST connected perfectly. The feed to the generator was perfect and the power to the DC was perfect. ONE switch set wrong, the generator was monitoring the wrong leg of the 3-phase power. The DC only got one phase but the generator was monitoring a different phase. When the phase the DC utilizes went away the generator didn't see any issue and thus never started. Oops.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 8/1/2017 10:02 AM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. wrote:
I remember when they first tested the generator on the old data center. There was some sort of short in the Generator distribution panel, and when it went live, took the entire data center down. That was production!

Mark Murphy
Atlas Data Systems
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: -----
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/31/2017 04:42PM
Subject: Re: How long does a PWRDWNSYS restart(*no) actually take?

Place I used to work built a new data center...

dual generators
dual UPS's

And these UPS's were rooms sized, battery stack about 20ft long 10ft wide,
10ft tall...

Problem was both battery stacks were in the same room 50ft x 15ft room...

A fire on one stack took down both...oopps!

Luckily, we hadn't actually started moving production machines into it.

But I don't believe they could have or did redesign it at that point.
Unless maybe they added an actual firewall between the stacks.

Charles