I would not use an intermediate PC to do a copy just to avoid putting
another router in the place. For example, if I'm in Kendallville and one
IBM i is in Garrett and the other is in Grand Rapids I would rather copy
directly from Garrett to Grand Rapids and not through my PC in
Kendallville.
Also, your IBM i's may be on a faster pipe than your PC's. Some people
even use virtual lan if the lpars are on the same back plane. Also, if
you have your frame size tuned optionally throwing a PC in the mix may
thwart that. However many people with an AS400 history may have their
frame size set to early obsolete sizes. Like something only good back in
the day of 10MB speeds.

What is the total size of the directory? Was it 500+MB? Or was it
composed of numerous 500+MB individual files? Half a GB isn't much
nowadays. On our 23TB machine I would call it a rounding error.
Then again, we have some kick butt networking infrastructure.

I would use in this order for ease:
/QFileSvr.400 (may be some size restrictions on individual files. It's
published)
/QNTC
NFS mounts
mput under ftp isn't out of the question either.
Save/restore to a save file and transferring that (if your security is
identical it may even be the desired method). But that's a waste of time
and space, on both machines to deal with. At least on a temporary basis.
If you have SNA set up there's also SAVRST instead. Requires a free
optional part of SS1 to be on your system. It's got a neat trick that
doesn't waste the space that saving to a save file does. I've never used
that between systems but I understand how it works and it's pretty cool.

For reliability, I would use NFS mounts.

Anyway, this is not throw away knowledge you'll only ever use once. It's
something you should learn.