I did a little more digging on the CPF4028. While I found the "cause" for
RC1, I failed to page down to the "Recovery" section of the message, which
has this:
"If changing parameter SEQONLY(*YES) to SEQONLY(*NO) is not acceptable, use
the Override Database File (OVRDBF) command to override the parameter
SEQONLY(*NO) by specifying SEQONLY(*YES N) where N indicates the number of
records. Then try your request again."

I almost wrote this off, because sometimes the "recovery" message is a
shot-in-the-dark, can't-hurt-to-try, suggestion. (And, also because I was
nearly certain that I had already tried this.) The fact that the F-spec
explicitly defines this file (with no keys) as output-only, and the keyed
logical allows duplicate keys (and there's no conversion mapping, key
mapping, or select/omit defined), the implied SEQONLY(*YES) should have
sufficed. In all of my experience, an explicit override never "overrides"
this error. But, left with few reasonable options, I tried SEQONLY(*YES
50) and, to my great surprise, it worked.

I still don't know why the system issued issued CPF4028 RC1, but, hey, it's
working now.

(Thanks, Buck, for your reply. I feel confident that, if you had an answer
to this, you most certainly would have responded with one!)

- Dan