"MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/12/2017
01:00:03 PM:
----- Message from Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx> on Wed, 12 Jul
2017 09:38:56 -0700 -----

Re: QRPLOBJ

What happens if you delete the program instead of using QRPLOBJ?

*_>_O DLTPGM PGM(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
*_>_R CRTBNDRPG PGM(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAME
*_>_C SRCFIL(@SRCLIB/@SRCFIL) SRCMBR(@SRCMBR)

What happens is anybody's job which is running the old version simply
crashes. I forget the exact message--something about tried to refer to an
object that is now destroyed. This is why QRPLOBJ and the REPLACE(*YES)
parameter logic was added--so you can recompile a program while someone is
running it.

Earlier in this thread, someone suggested checking if the program is
running from QRPLOBJ. I also recently read where someone always did this
with their continually running programs. If a program discovered it was
running from QRPLOBJ, they would send a request message to the job message
queue to have the program call itself, set on LR, and quit. Then the
program would quit and the new version would be called. I think this is a
great application for that logic.

(It's been a couple months since I read about the technique above. It
might have been coded to issue a *SCOPE message with the QMHSNDSM API. A
challenge I can think of with using that is if the program takes more than
one parameter--a scope handling program is only allowed a single
parameter.)

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International