Open SSL has a command line that will query any listening IP address/port and can validate the certificate chain.

Here are my notes:

How to use OpenSSL for testing connections to servers

openssl s_client -connect facebook.com:443 -ssl3

openssl s_client -connect ftp.optiosolutions.com:990 -tls1

openssl s_client -connect ftp.cross-check.com:990 -tls1

usage: s_client args
-connect host:port - who to connect to (default is localhost:4433)
-verify depth - turn on peer certificate verification
-cert arg - certificate file to use, PEM format assumed
-certform arg - certificate format (PEM or DER) PEM default
-key arg - Private key file to use, in cert file if
not specified but cert file is.
-keyform arg - key format (PEM or DER) PEM default
-pass arg - private key file pass phrase source
-CApath arg - PEM format directory of CA's
-CAfile arg - PEM format file of CA's
-reconnect - Drop and re-make the connection with the same Session-ID
-pause - sleep(1) after each read(2) and write(2) system call
-showcerts - show all certificates in the chain
-debug - extra output
-msg - Show protocol messages
-nbio_test - more ssl protocol testing
-state - print the 'ssl' states
-nbio - Run with non-blocking IO
-crlf - convert LF from terminal into CRLF
-quiet - no s_client output
-ign_eof - ignore input eof (default when -quiet)
-no_ign_eof - don't ignore input eof
-ssl2 - just use SSLv2
-ssl3 - just use SSLv3
-tls1 - just use TLSv1
-dtls1 - just use DTLSv1
-fallback_scsv - send TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV
-mtu - set the link layer MTU
-no_tls1/-no_ssl3/-no_ssl2 - turn off that protocol
-bugs - Switch on all SSL implementation bug workarounds
-serverpref - Use server's cipher preferences (only SSLv2)
-cipher - preferred cipher to use, use the 'openssl ciphers'
command to see what is available
-starttls prot - use the STARTTLS command before starting TLS
for those protocols that support it, where
'prot' defines which one to assume. Currently,
only "smtp", "pop3", "imap", "ftp" and "xmpp"
are supported.
-engine id - Initialise and use the specified engine
-rand file:file:...
-sess_out arg - file to write SSL session to
-sess_in arg - file to read SSL session from
-servername host - Set TLS extension servername in ClientHello
-tlsextdebug - hex dump of all TLS extensions received
-status - request certificate status from server
-no_ticket - disable use of RFC4507bis session tickets
-legacy_renegotiation - enable use of legacy renegotiation (dangerous)

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.