On Fri, 2017-06-16 at 19:37 -0400, John Yeung wrote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. Dave and Buck seemed to best
understand what I was after, though it's certainly also possible I
simply misunderstood the other responses.
<snip>
So, nobody mentioned it explicitly, probably because it's too obvious
to everyone who knows what they are doing, but after further
experimentation it seems that the key to this is to specify
TOPGMQ(*SAME) when issuing the SNDPGMMSG that repeats the originally
caught *ESCAPE message.

It might also be worth looking at the message API's, such as QMRSCVPM
(receive program message) QMHRSNEM (resend escape) QMHPRMM (Promote
message) and QMHSNDRM (Send reply message) etc. They are fairly simple
to use with fairly simple parameter lists. I use various combinations of
the above so that my error handling routines can act as an interloper in
called programs to perform various options such as handling errors by
default, issuing "msqw" style messages, and passing the errors received
by a called program (or procedure) to the caller, either as escape
messages or to the messageq that is used on the display files; or even
replacing an IBM message (such as duplicate key in secondary logical
file) with a far more friendly message as it gets
"percolated" (/replaced) to the caller.

<snip>

John Y.

Jon