"MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 06/14/2017
03:32:25 PM:
Surely there is an accepted idiom (or a small number of generally used
idioms) to handle the case where you want to "monitor" a specific
diagnostic message.

I know you can't use MONMSG directly on the diagnostic message. So I
guess you use RCVMSG. How do you set this up so that if the diagnostic
message you were looking for isn't there, everything proceeds as
though you had never looked for the message in the first place?
(Meaning execution continues normally if there are no errors, but if
there is an error, it shows up exactly as it would have had you not
tried to handle the diagnostic message.)

If there is a fine manual, tutorial, or blog for this on-line, I'd be
happy to just be pointed to it.

I hope someone can correct me if I am wrong, but in my experience
you can't "re-raise" the original exception *exactly* as it was originally
raise. The closest I have gotten to it is to RCVMSG the exception, first
(along with the message replacement data), then search (RCVMSG) through
the DIAGs, and finally send the original exception message, again, with
the original replacement data. What you lose in this case is the original
programs and sourcelines (on the F9 message details screen) involved. But,
the original exception message is still in the joblog for further research
if needed.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark