On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/1/2017 4:27 PM, Dan Rasch wrote:

We have recently encountered errors from an existing
application that downloads error records to a spreadsheet.

Can you share the nature of this existing application?
Is it a CPYTOIMPF, CPYTOPCD (hey, it happens), HSSF/POI, Python
library... what is the output format: CSV, XLS, XLSX, XML, JSON...?

Indeed. This is essentially what Richard Schoen's response was getting at.

There were 13,xxx rows.
Limits are tricky things.
One row 64MB wide might be harder to open than 64K rows 5 bytes wide.
Saying '13K rows' may not be as informative as one might hope.

It's not as informative as one might hope, but mainly because OP
hasn't yet shared anything about the application which is generating
the Excel file.

I will say this: The limits of the various Excel file formats are
pretty straightforward. 13,999 rows is nowhere near any of Excel's
file limits. So it's not a problem of row capacity in the receiving
Excel file.

OP said this:

A little background. I suspected bad data in a record so I did some
CPYF's around it but no help.

Then, after other tests, discovered it was a size type problem, as
anything over 12,xxx records would fail.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but how do you *know* that you
eliminated the possibility of bad data, and how do you *know* that
it's a size problem?

Does writing 10,000 records always succeed? If so, and you take those
10,000 good records and repeat them, so that there are 20,000 "good"
records (but still at most 10,000 unique records), does it then fail?

And no matter what the answers are to the questions I just asked,
please provide more information about the application which is
populating the Excel file, as well as the format of that Excel file.
In other words, please answer Buck's questions.

John Y.