Thanks, Jim!

I believe the FSP is up to date on all three machines, but I'll double check to make sure before I attach the HMC. And we're using enterprise-grade switches (Cisco 2960s / 3850s across the board), so I hope it's sufficient for our use. 😊

/b;

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 11:00 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Installing an HMC to Existing Systems

Larry gave you a primer on what to do and why. I would only change one thing, make sure your FSP code is up to date prior to connecting the HMC.
That's most likely the case since with LAN console the odds are very strong you update the FSP with the group PTFs

Networking is both the easiest to get right, and the easiest to botch up at the same time. Pay attention to the don't use a dime store switch for these and how to architect the network. Basically plug all three systems into a switch and then add the HMC private side to it. The HMC public side should
go out to your network so you can attach remotely to the HMC. Larry and
Rob detailed most of this.

As to time? Figure a good 8 hours to patch the HMC to its highest level, build and configure the network, and convert the console. The console can be converted after the HMC is attached but it's one of those landmines to step on if you need an unexpected IPL. I suggest set it all up Friday and plan to deactivate/activate the partitions (cold start)on Saturday to get the console converted.

In the end it's easy, just a bit detail oriented.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects