From: Luis Rodriguez <luisro58@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/05/2017 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: Operating system name

And then there was WSU....................... Shudder

Hey, Don’t dis WSU!! :-)

Back in 1979/80 I had been working for a few months as a
operator/programmer for a MAI BBI computer (BASIC-based) when our S/34
arrived. My boss asked me to write the main billing entry program in WSU,
as the company’s “star” programmer had, even after several IBM courses,
been unable to do so. I asked for the manual and had the program up and
running in a short time. I found WSU very easy to learn and use (and quite
compact and efficient).

Note to the younger generations: WSU (Work Station Utility) was a RPG-like
language used to program (green screen) interactive applications. It ran
as
a never-ending program, where every user shared the same program in memory
and the programmer was responsible for maintaining the data separated for
each user (due to fading neurons, exact coding details are a little hazy).

Regards,
Luis